Thursday, February 3, 2011

Part 2: Stuff I wrote today at around midnight.

Did a story-boarding with my father for several hours. Together we outlined the overarching plot and plan for the book. He was wonderful in helping me get unstuck in two particular parts, also he has a crazy imagination, which is great. Punching through writing like this without hesitation is weird, but kinda fun, I don't have to worry as much how 'good' it is. I can just relax, it can be bad, it can be good, as long as I write more!

To the several people who promised to keep reading my entries and my developing story, you guys are fantastic, and it really helps with my motivation to keep writing no matter what. As I put in entries I'll be throwing in pictures I find via google image search that feel to me like a scene from what I write or the overall themes of Narsis. If you come across anything cool, or are good at art and want to draw some stuff for the blog feel free to throw me your material. Here is more stuff I wrote:


                                                  
Varis

The perfume encircled me like a vice grip. A cloying smell of woody musk; with a faint hint of rose and pepper. The room was full of officials, their bight coloured garments and eager chatter all passing me unattended. I felt smothered.

My mother Salik sat at the head of the table. Tiny in stature, she was hardly larger than me at sixteen years old; her small body contained a nearly limitless focus and an intense dedication. Her face had a light web of wrinkles that careened across her face like threads of oil in water. It reflected the madness in her eyes, her hunger for power.

“Silence” said Salik in a measured tone. The sound in the room snapped shut. My mother was A class purity, like me. Salik took a moment to study the women assembled at the giant iron table we were seated at. She held the quiet just long enough that they all shifted uncomfortably in their seats.
“The problems with my gathari shipments has to stop. The revolts from the Punished are getting out of hand. If you don’t fix this mess there will be consequences.”  She threw a meaningful look at Telari, the head of the mining division. Telari visibly paled.
“Mistress” Telari stammered. “You don’t understand the situation. With all the-”
“Excuses are not appreciated, my dear,” Salik interrupted smoothly. “In the Vem family, we operate on results. Do we have an understanding?”
Telari’s mouth hung open stupidly for a moment, then she nodded dumbly. “Now, on to the matter of our accounts. I think there’s much we can do to improve operational efficiency…”

I cast a bored look to my bodyguard Kesia. She stood behind me, her tall muscular frame dwarfing mine. She gave me a wink, the proceedings tiring her as much as they did me. On a whim I stood up. The attention of the table turned to me. I made people nervous, I had all my life.
“Varis my dear” said my Mother amiably, “please do sit down.” Mother barely batted an eyelid, and her voice was perfectly smooth and modulated, but I could tell she was absolutely furious.
“I’m going out, Mother,” I said with a sweet smile. I turned around and walked towards the exit of the room, Kesia following loyally at my side. Mother tapped her long index finger on the iron table three times. Her only outward display of anger. She had spent years mastering public appearances. Of all the people at this table, I was the only one she couldn’t command. My blood purity was higher. She’d make me pay for this later, but I didn’t care. I just wanted to be out of this ugly bureaucratic room.
“Varis,” I heard her call cheerily after me. “We’ll talk later.” Each word was pregnant with implied threat.

I shrugged with my back to her, pushing my luck. Quickly I walked out of the reception room, feeling the (likely) burning gaze of my Mother drilling a hole through my shoulder blades. She was quite the control freak.

I walked into the iron hallway, the grand entrance to the structure that was home to my family, the Spire. Mother told me it was the tallest building in Narsis. The other Royal families would have statues of powerful women, ancestors who ruled Narsis years ago. My family Vem’s was empty. My Mother was its founder. We were the first family to join the Royal since it was founded. Our entrance hall was instead decorated with tapestries and ironwork. Everything in the Spire was covered in the stuff. It all looked rather ugly.

I gave a nod to the two guards standing at the door. They immediately hauled open the heavy iron door that kept the rain at bay. I was greeted by a torrential downpour beating into the street. I gasped. I’d never been out in such dangerous weather before. I smiled with delight.

“Leave” I said to the guards. They saluted and walked swiftly off. Kesia opened her mouth to ask her usual question. I waved her mouth shut.
“I’ll be fine Kes, I’ve been going out alone for a while now. Don’t worry.”
Kesia looked at me grumpily. She was my best (and only) friend, but I needed to escape this place. I needed to leave everything behind me. It was too claustrophobic in here.

Wrapping Kesia’s thick raincoat around my body which was far too big for me, I walked headfirst into the downpour.

No comments:

Post a Comment